Guestbook

Sign our Guestbook

This Guestbook was created as a courtesy to the Istrian people who are scattered around the world, as well as their descendants and friends. You may post a new message or reply to an existing one in any of our Istrian Languages or the language of your choice. We reserve the right, however, to reject entries that promote illicit and/or commercial enterprises, have a political agenda, or that are otherwise rude or disrespectful. Consequently, all new entries will be checked before they appear on our Guestbook.

Total Entries: 283   Entries Viewed Per Page: 25
1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Search    for
Name Comments
208. Cristi Rimer
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
Wednesday, 8 August 2012 06:41 Host: nat-modestiei.prospectiuni.ro Write a comment Send E-mail

Problema salvarii de la disparitie a dialectului istro-roman trebuie privita cu toata responsabilitatea, fiind una foarte delicata. Exista unele pareri cum ca aceasta poate fi rezolvata prin aducerea in Romania a copiilor din aceasta comunitate, unde sa invete in limba romana. Tratata asa simplist, aceasta solutie nu numai ca nu va putea impiedica dezastrul, ci il va accelera si mai mult, fiind de fapt o forma de asimilare a populatiei istro-romane de catre aceea daco-romana. Nu se pune problema salvarii de la pieire a etnicilor istro-romani, care in unele cazuri traiesc mai bine chiar decat multi dintre romanii din Romania, ci a salvarii tezaurului cultural si lingvistic al acestora. Acest fapt se poate realiza prin trimiterea in localitatile istro-romanilor a unor filologi din Romania care sa invete dialectul vorbit acolo, dupa care vor putea edita in Romania carti si manuale scolare in dialect istro-roman care sa fie apoi distribuite in scoli infiintate special pentru copiii istro-romani.
Aceste demersuri necesita insa mult timp si fonduri, de aceea trebuie sa fie precedate de unele masuri de constientizare in randul acestora a importantei pastrarii tezaurului lingvistic si folcloric propriu, care trebuiesc incepute cat mai urgent. Aceasta se poate realiza cel mai usor prin intermediul mass-media, a posturilor de radio, in primul rand, dar si de televiziune, care se pot receptiona in localitatile respective.

207. DANIEL MIHAI
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
Monday, 6 August 2012 01:15 IP: 89.39.75.169 Write a comment Send E-mail

Nu am nici o legatura de nume sau origini cu istro-romanii.Dar sunt ROMAN si nu-mi uit istoria ! Istro-romani,sunteti romani la fel ca noi si va iubim! Noi astia mici nu vom lasa adevarata istorie sa moara !Pacat ca site-ul nu e si in romana...

206. Friederike Goldschmid
Austria
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8) AppleWebKit/534.50.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.6 Safari/533.22.3 Skype
Monday, 30 July 2012 08:17 Host: 94-245-227-176.dyn.orange.at Write a comment Send E-mail

I have been on your formidable homepage. It has been very intereting for me, because we are writing about istria and one chapter are about the istro rumains. Noe I have a question, you have several songs of zejane. May I have a download? Because you don't get CD at Austria nor in Istria. The cover of the book I will send to you.

With kind regars from Salzburg

Friederike Goldschmid

205. Mary Esposito
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3
Sunday, 29 July 2012 16:31 Host: ool-435115b0.dyn.optonline.net Write a comment Send E-mail

I really enjoyed browsing through this information. I will be sure to share it with my family and continue to refer to it and study the history My father and his brothers were all born in Brdo. Kudos to Marisa for making this her life's work. Truly excellent and informative!

Sandy Bubolic Sunday, 2 September 2012 21:07
Host: bas3-sthubert21-1279644850.dsl.bell.ca
Hi Mary ---- I check this site from time to time and so far this is the first time for me to see someone mention Brdo. My father and his siblings are from there as well. I spent 5 weeks there last summer and it took great willpower to leave wide smile

MaryEsposito Saturday, 15 September 2012 15:43
Host: ool-435115b0.dyn.optonline.net
Hi Sandy, I answered your email. It was nice to hear from you.
Mary

204. MARTIN POROPAT
IP logged Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2)
Wednesday, 25 July 2012 10:48 Host: 84.121.184.222.dyn.user.ono.com Write a comment Send E-mail

HELLO EVERYONE MY GRANDPARENTS ON MY FATHER SIDE ARE FROM ISTRIA AND MOTHERS SIDE FROM LIKA CROATIA . I WOULD LIKE TO MEET AND TALK TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE SAME LAST NAME AS ME . WILL DO MY RESEACH ON THE NAME AND THE HISTORY OF OUR PEOPLE . PLEASE BE FREE TO CONTACT ME . GOD BLESS MARTIN POROPAT

203. jadranka
Čepić, Hrvatska
IP logged Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Sunday, 24 June 2012 16:43 Host: 78-0-102-68.adsl.net.t-com.hr Write a comment Send E-mail

Dobar dan svima! Poseban pozdrav Francesci.

202. Cristoforo Roman
Canada
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.56 Safari/536.5
Thursday, 14 June 2012 16:53 Host: CPEe4ce8f44f1fc-CM602ad089dda2.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com Write a comment Send E-mail

(202) Wonderful website I love it!!
My father Carlo Alberto Roman was born in Citta Nova, his parents were Umberto Roman and Anna Spiz.
My Great Grand Parents are Angelo Roman & Elena Millovaz
Carlo Spiz & Caterina Vidach
My Great Great Grand Parents are Gianbattista Roman & Felicita Giacomelli
Giovanna Ferbocovich & Pierto Millovaz
Matteo Vidach & Giorgio Spiz
If anyone knows info about or is related to these people can you please contact me @
cristoforos.way@hotmail.com
ciao grazie istriani!

201. Paolo Herrmann
Australia
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.168 Safari/535.19
Wednesday, 9 May 2012 07:46 Host: CPE-58-165-144-249.lns4.cht.bigpond.net.au Write a comment Send E-mail

Good evening,

I am a young Grandson of a now deceased Lady born in Albona before WW1. Her name was Antonia Rebbi/Rebic and she was the daughter of Antonio Rebbi/Rebic who worked in the Cemetery with his son Antonio Jnr. They were shot on the steps of the cemetary of which I have visited in 2008 with my father Mauro, Antonia' Third son.

I am trying to find out more about my Grandmother's life as I am unsure whether she is Italian/Croatian or something in the middle. Her birth certificate is in Italian however I very much want to be certain of my heritage so I can educate my Sons about their brave Grandmother's blood line.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I think your website is fantastic and very much makes my heart ache of my time in Istria in 2008.

Grazie/Hvala

Paolo big grin

200. Nadia Gailey (Franovich)
Wa. State USA
Monday, 7 May 2012 01:54 Host: or-67-232-68-25.dhcp.embarqhsd.net Write a comment Send E-mail

I have visited this site often .My mother was born in Pola in 1925 and lived in Fiume until 1947. I was born in The refugee camp in Tortona ,Italy.Her family home is in Momiamo. Her father died before she was born.I think his name was Emenegildo Sbisa. Any info on Sbisa from Pola.

199. Glenn Jelich
Sydney Australia
IP logged Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.3)
Wednesday, 2 May 2012 19:47 IP: 199.91.8.46 Write a comment Send E-mail

I have just discovered this website and have spent hours enjoying the contents. My heritage is from this wonderful part of the world Trieste, Dalmatia, Istria, Slovenia.

My parents were immigrants in the 1950's to Australia and are now no longer with us. Thank you for this website and the incredible information it contains

Glenn Jelich

198. Flora Rodrigues
Wednesday, 25 April 2012 18:47 Host: 70-119-188-226.res.bhn.net Write a comment Send E-mail

I am looking for descendents of the following families: Bilich, Buttolo, Benazic, Brajkovic

cristina buttolo Send E-mail Monday, 15 September 2014 16:48
Host: adsl-ull-182-182.46-151.net24.it
Nello my name is Cristina Buttolo there are many "Buttolo" in Val Resia (UD) Italy Regione Friuli Venezia Giulia
If you want contact me in private

197. Diana Rackley
Australia
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
Monday, 9 April 2012 06:31 Host: CPE-123-211-137-254.lnse3.woo.bigpond.net.au Write a comment Send E-mail

Hello,
I am travelling to Pula soon and would love to have some information about where my mother and her family lived when she was little.
My grandfather Carlo Colbasso (Drago Klobas),BD.1910 was married to Maria Privelleggio BD.1909.

They had 3 children Silvana(my mother) Silvio and Graziella.

I have a photo of the house they lived in. It has a address on the back that reads Via Medulin, I think the number 67 is on the building. I would appreciate some information.

Diana Rackley

Bruno Fucci Tuesday, 10 April 2012 12:12
Host: bb03ac0a.virtua.com.br
Diana, there's a Medulinska Cesta in Pula, according to Google maps. Probably is the same street called Via Medulin when Pula was part of Italy.

Australia Friday, 13 April 2012 05:51
Host: c114-76-39-90.eburwd4.vic.optusnet.com.au
YES,Diana, look it up in Google earth Medulinska Cesta. Nice pictures, but they do not show the house numbers. Maybe you can recognize it from your photograph.

Anton Friday, 13 April 2012 19:03
Host: bas1-woodbridge48-2925279322.dsl.bell.ca
Diana, I don't know if this will help, but I think it's worth following up on it. James Joyce during his stay in Pula lived on the address Via Medolino 7; nowadays the street is called 'ulica Sergijevaca', which runs from the Triumphal Arch of the Sergii to the Forum, where the temple of Augustus is located. It is my opinion that Via Medolino in the year 1904 was also the street of the same name in late 19-thirties. The house where J. Joyce lived is very close to the Arch of Triumph, in front of it there is a sculpture of the famous Irishman.

196. John Gosling
England
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)
Tuesday, 3 April 2012 08:45 IP: 81.168.124.250 Write a comment Send E-mail

Hello,

I am one of a number of researchers who believe they can connect to a family originating on or around Cres. This family was called Francovich.

Sometime in the early 1870s, two brothers arrived in North Shields, England. Their names were Stefano and Antonio Francovich. They both married local women.

The marriage certificate (1872) for Stefano indicates he was a ships master, and that his father, Francis Natalle Francovich was a port master.

An 1881 census record appears to show his place of birth as \"Austria, Chorso\".

Some 20 years previously to their arrival, a captain Francesco Giuseppe Francovich was sailing regularly between Newcastle (North Shields) and Trieste, carrying coals. His ship was the Aureo.

We have found captain Francesco Giuseppe Francovich connected to one other ship, the Bark Fides, which was the first ship built for a company now known as Fratelli Cosulich. The Bark Fides was built on Cres.

It appears Francesco married one of Cosulich\'s daughters. We do know that the Aureo got into serious trouble off Dover in 1858.

So there is a lot of evidence for Francovich visits to England pointing to all these Francovichs as relatives, but we cannot make that crucial connection.

We wonder therefore if anyone has come across anything on the Francovich family, or knows of anyone researching them?

We would be delighted to share what we know.

Regards

John Gosling
England.

195. Livio Moreno
Italia
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/17.0.963.79 Safari/535.11
Sunday, 18 March 2012 07:52 Host: dynamic-adsl-94-39-58-190.clienti.tiscali.it Write a comment Send E-mail

Nelle pagine Postcards of Old Istria ho trovato una cartolina di Albona che è stata scritta da Giuseppina Martinuzzi, prozia di mia moglie Licia.
Vorrei potermi mettere in contatto con il proprietario della cartolina e sapere a chi era indirizzata.
Grazie mille
Livio Moreno

194. Remus
Galaţi, România
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20120311 Firefox/13.0a1
Monday, 12 March 2012 12:26 Host: 79-117-117-195.rdsnet.ro Write a comment Send E-mail

Salutări tuturor,
Doresc să vă felicit pentru site, însă aş vrea să ştiu de ce nu există nicio versiune în limba istro-română ?

Românii nu v-au uitat, nu vă lăsaţi cultura să dispară !

193. Aurelia Persico
Pembroke Pines, Florida
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0) Skype
Friday, 9 March 2012 21:29 Host: adsl-184-33-241-139.mia.bellsouth.net Write a comment Send E-mail

Hello to all Istriani. I was born in Istria and after living in Trieste for three years was processed at Bagnoli and came to the USA via Germany Oct-Nov 1951. I see that some of you were probably on the same ship with us but were disbersed to different parts of the US. We were sent to Utica, NY.

192. Vladimir Kytlica
Los Angeles, California
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Friday, 9 March 2012 00:42 Host: adsl-69-235-196-67.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net Write a comment Send E-mail

I wanted to thank the person who posted this beautiful site, especially the photos. My parents, who escaped from Czechoslovakia in 1949, were at the refugee camp in Bagnoli, Italy and this is where I was born. They immigrated, leaving from Bremenhaven, Germany on the USS General Surgis to South America. I only heard their stories all my life, but had no idea how these places looked like, since they had no photos. It is amazing to finally see what they were talking about all those years. Thank you, again!!

Marisa Friday, 9 March 2012 02:38
Host: pool-96-224-1-83.nycmny.east.verizon.net
Thank you, Vladimir!
It's always good to hear from people who share our immigrant experiences. When did your family reach South America and where? My own family and I were sent to Campo Bagnoli near Naples, Italy, transferred to Camp Lesum in Bremen, Germany, and arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana USA on the USS General Sturgis (note the correct spelling) on October 11, 1951. We have an essay on our site about the voyage just before ours of that same ship in which other immigrants landed in Canada. This project has reunited MANY of our long-lost friends and relatives.

191. DrGoo
Melbourne, Australia
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20120216 Firefox/10.0.2 SeaMonkey/2.7.2
Sunday, 19 February 2012 02:05 Host: c114-76-39-90.eburwd4.vic.optusnet.com.au Write a comment Send E-mail

Hi Warren,
The translation quoted in our site is approximate, but the one posted by Selar here in the Guestbook is much better. As for you mentioning Histria as part of the Illyricum, it never was considered as such in ancient times. At one stage, before Venetia and Histria were declared the 10th region of the Roman Republic, arguably the eastern part of Histria was classified as Dalmatia and Pannonia, themselves parts of the Illyricum and under the Roman Empire. This classification did not last for long, but it has caused untold confusion to historians. Istrioto was never spoken there. It was spoken, and still is, on the western coast in Rovinj/Rovigno and surrounds.
Regards
Guido.

Marisa Sunday, 19 February 2012 08:36
Host: pool-96-224-13-113.nycmny.east.verizon.net
Guido,
Thank you for your succinct and accurate explanation which should enlighten rather than further obfuscate. Thanks also to Warren and Anton for their constructive observations which are now reflected in the modified/expanded "Salve Rigeina" page.

190. Warren R. Giordano
Williamstown, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Saturday, 18 February 2012 14:27 Host: c-174-59-125-245.hsd1.pa.comcast.net Write a comment Send E-mail

Beautiful website! Very apropos to preserve the culture and languages of the Istrian part of Illyrium. However I must point out an error: On the page which has the "Hail Mary" prayer in Istrioto. I am a student of language and able to read it (admittedly not perfectly.) However, the prayer is not the "Hail Mary", but actually " Hail o' queen, mother of mercy, our life, sweetness and hope. To thee do we turn, the children of Eve, crying and suffering in this valley of tears... etc., etc." I suggest you have one of our Istrian speakers translate it exactly. Keep up the great work. Do not let your languages and culture turn to dust!

A. Selar Saturday, 18 February 2012 19:45
Host: bas1-woodbridge48-2925111616.dsl.bell.ca
Warren,
This particular prayer is known as 'Salve Regina'; it's the final prayer of the Rosary. In Latin it goes as follows:

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae,
vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.
ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae,
ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
in hac lacrimarum valle.
Eia, ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos
misericordes oculos ad nos converte;
et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,
nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.
O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria.

In English:
Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy!
Our life, our sweetness, and our hope!
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve,
to thee do we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
thine eyes of mercy toward us;
and after this our exile show unto us the
blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus;
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

Moderator Send E-mail Sunday, 9 March 2014 15:51
Host: pool-108-21-14-4.nycmny.east.verizon.net
Warren,
Your reference to the Istriot language of Istria as being in the "Istrian part of Illyrium" is questionable at best. See the next posting which is a reply to you, but kindly know (as indicated in our introduction), that this is not the forum for such discussions.

Anton,
Obviously, from the translations you've presented, "Salve Regina" is not the same prayer as the well-known "Hail Mary". We shall remove that page entirely pending further investigation.

189. Barbara Yates
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
Wednesday, 4 January 2012 01:13 Host: cpe-66-74-4-241.dc.res.rr.com Write a comment Send E-mail

I am looking for any information for my ancester -- Antonio Sumberaz, brothers were Martin and Edward Sumberaz. Antonio immigrated from Labin around 1885. He was married to Rosalee ? Pesanka. Any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bruno Tonon Send E-mail Monday, 7 March 2016 21:06
Host: c114-77-120-83.chirn2.vic.optusnet.com.au
My great grandfather Giovanni D Dragognia married a Maria Sunbarez???

188. Walter Cramerstetter
FCO
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0) Skype
Tuesday, 3 January 2012 07:54 Host: net-93-150-110-109.cust.dsl.teletu.it Write a comment Send E-mail

Bon Ano a tutti gli istriani nel mondo! dove of peace

Aurelia Persico Friday, 9 March 2012 21:32
Host: adsl-184-33-241-139.mia.bellsouth.net
Hi Walter..are you related to Remigio and Fiorella?

Marisa Saturday, 10 March 2012 07:42
Host: pool-96-232-21-45.nycmny.east.verizon.net
Aurelio,
I can answer that question for you: they are his parents.

Please see Walter's family album on our site. We do not allow active links in our guestbook, so here is the vital portion of the URL:
<snip>//istrianet.org/istria/people/albums/cramerstetter/

187. edoardo
Italia
IP logged Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tuesday, 3 January 2012 02:49 Host: host2-39-static.56-88-b.business.telecomitalia.it Write a comment Send E-mail

Buongiorno,

desidero augurare a tutti quanti i visitatori del sito un 2012 guidato dalla Luce.

Mi farebbe piacere poter ricevere informazioni sulla famiglia Marinoni-Sotte de Sumberaz di San Domenico di Albona - Pola. Mio nonno era Antonio Sotte de Sumberaz e mia nonna Elisabetta Marinoni.

Se avete notizie potete scrivere a edoardo19.08@gmail.com
----------------------------------------

Hello,
I would like to receive information on the family Sotte-Marinoni- of San Domenico di Albona - Pula. My grandfather was Antonio Sotte de Sumberaz and my grandmother Elisabetta Marinoni.

If you have news please email edoardo19.08@gmail.com

186. Linette Basiaco
Melbourne, Australia
IP logged Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; BOIE9;ENAU)
Sunday, 1 January 2012 10:25 IP: 101.114.123.202 Write a comment Send E-mail

Auguriamo un buon anno a tutti l'istriani per mondo e alla nostra famiglia e amici a Montona,Caldir, Stanzia Flego, Bencic, Golubici, Livade, Pirelici, Lubiani, Pula, Monfalcone e Trieste!
Viva L'istria!!!
Nelo,Bruna, Gianni e Linette Basiaco

185. Walter Cramerstetter
YUL airport
Saturday, 24 December 2011 16:36 IP: 172.22.1.10 Write a comment Send E-mail

Wishing a very happy Christmas - joyeux Noel - feliz navidad - buon natale... a tutti gli istriani nel mondo.
Walter

Montreal, Canada
Al Ain, Emirate of Abu Dhabi

184. Graziella Dumicich
IP logged Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Wednesday, 21 December 2011 15:46 Host: static-72-91-14-234.tampfl.fios.verizon.net Write a comment Send E-mail

A tutti gli Istriani,un augurio