Masonry
Crafts and Trades

Works in Istrian Stone

Istrian stone, pietra d'Istria, the characteristic group of building stones in the architecture of Venice and Dalmatia, is a dense type of impermeable limestones that was quarried in Istria, between Portoro× and Pula. Limestone is a biogenetic stone composed of calcium carbonate from the tests and shells of marine creatures laid down over eons. Istrian stone approaches the compressive strength and density of marble, which is metamorphosed limestone.

Venice, isolated in its lagoon, had no building stone at hand. The freshly quarried stone is salt-white or light yellowish, which weathers to a pale gray; the whiteness of Istrian stone contrasts well with coloured stones and brick. When Francesco, son of the architect Jacopo Sansovino, wrote Venetia citta nobilissima et singolare (1580) he emphasized the distinctive quality that Istrian stone and the coppery-red Verona brocatello limestone (so-called Veronese marble) lent to the city.It was brought, Sansovino said, from Rovigno and Brioni on the Istrian coast.

Here are a few samples of structures that were built with Istrian stone:

Preview Description (click on preview image for larger view)
Miramare Castle (1856-1860)
Trieste
Built by Cari Junker
Faced with bright Istrian stone

Source: http://www.ictp.trieste.it/www_users/freetours/index.html

Porta della Carta (1438-42)
Palazzo Ducale, Venice
Giovanni Bon, sculptor/architect

Source: http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/b/bon/giovanni/

The Fall of Adam and Eve (1400-10)
Palazzo Ducale, Venice
Giovanni Bon, sculptor/architect

Source: http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/b/bon/giovanni/

Entrance Portal
Fort Carpenedo, Mestre

Sources:

  • http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/barnsbury/46/beauties.htm
  • http://brezza.iuav.unive.it/stratema/mir/english/itinera/storia/mestre08.htm]

Monument of Pietro Mocenigo (1476-81)
Santi Giovanni and Paolo, Venice
Pietro Lombardo, architect/sculptor

Source: http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/l/lombardo/pietro/mocenigo.html

  Palazzo Malipiero-Trevisan (16th century)
Venice

Source: http://www.algiubagio.com/formosaeng.html]

  Palazzo del Comune
Udine

Sources:

  • http://www.ellero.it/udineen.html
  • http://www.bugnion.it/eng/udmusei.htm
Santa Maria della Salute (1630)
Dorsoduro, Venice
Baldassare Longhena, architect

Sources:

  • http://www.tradenet.it/veniceworld/dorsoduro.html
  • http://goeurope.about.com/travel/goeurope/library/venice/aa081897.htm
Facade
Scuola Dalmata, commonly called Scuola San Giorgio degli Schiavoni
Scuola Dalmata dei Santi Giorgio e Trifone, Castello

The Venetian Republic always placed great importance on trade relations with Dalmatia, its neighbor across the Adriatic Sea. The rapport with the Dalmatian Slavs (known to the Italians as Schiavoni) became still more intense at the beginning of the fifteenth century, when coastal regions of Dalmatia came under the power of the Republic. In 1451, the Schiavoni in Venice united to form a guild under their patron saints, Saint George, Saint Tryphone, and Saint Jerome. Then, in the early sixteenth century, the Dalmatian community built its own Guild Hall in Castello. The guild's official name was Scuola Dalmata dei Santi Giorgio e Trifone, although the Scuola is commonly known to Venetians as Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni.

The architect Giovanni de Zan designed the facade of the Scuola in the Sansovino style. Over the doorway is a relief dated 1552 by Pietro da Sal˛ (also a follower of Sansovino) showing Saint George and the Dragon. Directly above this is a fourteenth-century relief of the Virgin enthroned between Saint John the Baptist and Saint Catherine.

Due to the perilous condition of the Istrian stone facings, which have blackened dramatically due to age and pollutants, the Superintendency of Architectural and Environmental Heritage of Venice has classified the restoration of the facade a priority. Cleaning of the stone surface and consolidation of the decorative elements, including the two reliefs, will greatly improve the appearance of the building and restore yet another Scuola to its former glory.

Source: http://www.savevenice.org/current/facadeofscuola.html

Fašade of Santa Maria del Giglio (second half of 17th century)

Built by Giuseppe Benoni; the Istrian stone fašade is the work of Giuseppe Sardi.Antonio Barbaro left detailed instructions in his will for the design, building and financing of this church, which was intended to glorify the generosity of the donor and his family. The themes represented on the richly decorated fašade are profane and, indeed, war-like, with little relation to the religious function of a church.

The upper half of the fašade is decorated with representations of civic and military virtues. Statues of Antonioĺs four brothers stand in niches on either side of the entrance. Below, the plinths of a solid stylobate are decorated with relief plans of cities and naval battles illustrating the career of Antonio Barbaro, whose statue stands right in the centre of the fašade. The statues of Barbaro and his four brothers, the niche, the urn and the coats of arms are sculpted in Carrara marble.

Source: http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php@URL_ID=3588&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

  Entrance Archway (one of two archways)
Palazzo Marcosanti (XlVth - XVth century)
11 via Ripa Bianca, Poggio Bemi (near Rimini).

Source: http://www.criad.unibo.it/Ipertesti/Terre/ipoggiob.htm

Tiberius' Bridge / Ponte di Tiberio
Corso d'Augusto / Viale Tiberio
Rimini IT, 47900

The bridge is situated on the Via Aemilia over teh River Marecchia and connects the end of Corso Augusto (Old Rimini's main road) with the village of San Giuliano. San Giuliano is a medieval village which has numerous frescos with interesting murals of the life and works of Federico Fellini.

The bridge was was ordered by Emperor Augustus, but it's actual construction took place under his successor, Tiberius (14-21 AD).

Built entirely with stone from Istria, the bridge consists of five Doric arches and its piers are decorated with four blind rectangular windows. It was built without separating the foundations of the individual pillars, thus creating a unique structure that is is in almost perfect state of preservation and still being used today.

Tiberius' Bridge became a national monument in 1885.

Sources:

  • http://www.wguides.com/city/309/150_155530.cfm
  • http://www.citrag.it/archi/page/bridges/e_pn_im03.htm
  • http://www.magazine.it/romagna/rimini.htm
Judgment of Salomon (1424-38), height: 200 cm.
Palazzo Ducale, Venice
Nanni di Bartolo, sculptor

Source: http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/n/nanni/bartolo/index.html

  Palazzo Pisani
(Now Benedetto Marcello Music Conservatory)
Venice

Source: http://www.sonaco.com/cityguide/sightstosee/4183.htm

  Columns of Sant'Appolonia Cloister
Venice.

Source: http://www.sonaco.com/cityguide/sightstosee/5417.htm

  Piles, buildings, and sea walls (Murazzi)
Lagoon of Venice.

Sources:

  • http://www.unesco.int/culture/heritage/tangible/venice/html_eng/lagunecon.htm,
  • http://www.smomve.org/inglese/i00prim.htm
  • http://www.friendsofvenice.org/excerpts/bull.html
  • http://www.canaan.demon.co.uk/roleplaying/venice/VenGeog-Arch.html
  • http://www.lettere.unimi.it/~mainardi/metrop/venezia.htm
  Santa Maria Formosa
Venice

Sources:

  • http://www.friendsofvenice.org/vip/vipsep97.html
  • http://www.provincia.venezia.it/chorus/e44.htm
Churchyard paving
La Madonna dell'Orto
Sestiere di Cannaregio, Venice.

Source: http://www.provincia.venezia.it/chorus/e411.htm

Ponte dei Sospiri (16th cent.) & Doge's Palace
Venice.

Sources:

  • http://www.giubileovenezia.it/eng/iti_inbarca2_e.htm
  • http://www.pathfinder.com/travel/TL/801/venice2.html
Ponte Rialto (16th cent.)

Goldoni, a native of Venice... "praised the breadth of the Rialto Bridge, which spans the Grand Canal in one giant bound with a single arch, high enough to permit small boats and barks to pass unimpeded, yet wide enough to allow three lanes of foot traffic and support "twenty-four shops with their lodgings and lead-covered roofs." The famous bridge was built of Istrian stone between 1588 and 1592 on the site of an old wooden bridge, visible in Vittore Carpaccio's Miracle of the Holy Cross. The old one had been the city's business center until a fire in 1514 destroyed it and all the banks that had prospered nearby, along with the former covered market, where bales of silk and spices from the distant Orient were unloaded."

Source: http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/BuildingDetail.php?BuildingName=Ponte di Rialto&LocationCity=Venice&LocationState=Veneto&LocationNation=Italy

  University of Venice building (Dorsoduro 1687)
Redesigned in Istrian stone
Carlo Scarpa, architect (redesign).

Source: http://www.pathfinder.com/travel/TL/801/venice2.html

Bell Tower, Church of San Pietro di Castello, Venice
Designed by Mauro Codussi (1482-90)

Sources:

  • http://www.giubileovenezia.it/eng/iti_inbarca2_e.htm,
  • http://www.provincia.venezia.it/chorus/e412.htm &
  • http://www.chorus-ve.org/410.htm
Mullioned windows; monument to Jacopo Pesaro (1525); and other components of cathedral
Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
Venezia

Sources:

  • http://www.basilicadeifrari.it/inglese/sculpturetesto.htm
  • http://www.ciaovenezia.com/frari/back.htm
  • http://www.ciaovenezia.com/frari/chapterh.htm
  • Map - http://www.ciaovenezia.com/frari/map.htm
  • http://www.savevenice.org/Monumentpages/currentprojects/currentprojectstext.html
The Creation of Adam (1425-35), height 86 cm
San Petronio, Bologna
Jacopo della Quercia, sculptor.

Source: http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/q/quercia/bologna/index.html

The Expulsion from the Garden of Eden (c. 1430), 34"x27"
San Petronio, Bologna
Jacopo della Quercia, sculptor

Source: http://www.inform.umd.edu/Caprina/Images/pages/002/045.htm

Basement level facade
Ca' del Duca
Venezia

Source: http://www.boglewood.com/cornaro/xcadelduca.html

  Castles and Basilicas
Bari

Source: http://www.sevenonline.it/sensa/english/ve_barigb.htm

Church of San Giorgio Maggiore (begun 1565) and/or
Church of Il Redentore (begun 1576)
Venice
Andrea Palladio, architect

Sources:

  • http://members.spree.com/entertainment/gosugi/Palladio.html
  • http://www.artsystem.it/curia_venezia/red_tec.htm
Stone columns of Trepponti (early 17th century)
Comacchio
Luca Danese of Ravenna, builder

Source: http://www.comunic.it/PARKS/parco.delta.po.er/punti/EPRDP-com.html

Couple of statues in Istrian stone
Venetian manufacture
Second half of XVI early XVII century.
Dimensions: Height 182 cm.
Exhibitor: A. Palloni & C.

Sources:

  • http://www.arca.net/arts_antiques/expo/a113.htm
  • http://www.arca.net/arts_antiques/expo/a113o9.htm
  Roman Bridge (ruins)
San Vito

Source: http://www.adhoc.net/provincia/regione/web/E/0BEBCCA5/0BEBCCA6/0BEBCCAD.HTM

Facade (1571-87 )
Basilica
Firenze
Giovanni Boccalini, architect (completed by Lattanzio Ventura)

Source: http://www.santuarioloreto.it/arte/piazza_eng.htm

Pedestals, Monument to Pope Sixtus V
Firenze
Artists: Calcagni, assisted by Vergelli (1589)

Source: http://www.santuarioloreto.it/arte/piazza_eng.htm

  Four urns flanking Apollo fountain
Georgian Court College
Lakewood, N.J.

Source: http://www.thebee.com/aweb/archive/garden.htm

Portici Ercolani; biblioteca comune Antonelliana (in Palazzo Gherardi)
(mid-18th cent.)
Senigallia

Sources:

  • http://www.webtourist.com/apt/centroi.htm
  • http://www.pasadena.it/porticie.htm
Eight lioness statues
Piazza Federico II
Jesi
Luigi Amici (1817-1897), sculptor

Sources:

  • http://www.comune.jesi.ancona.it/presentazione/inglese/piazza.htm
  • http://www.nettuno.it/fiera/jesi/inglese/guidacen.htm
  Stone Pillars (c. 1495)
San Giovanni in Bragora
Venice
Sebastiano Mariani da Lugano, sculptor

Sources:

  • http://www.savevenice.org/Monumentpages/Bragorapages/Bragora.html
  • Save Venice Inc. - http://www.savevenice.org/index.html
  San Francesco
Rimini (?)

Source: http://www.pstokes.demon.co.uk/ads5/pref4.htm

  Bovolo spiral stair (15th century)
Located in small courtyard up the secondary fašade
of the Palazzo Contarini, Venice

Source: http://turismo.regione.veneto.it/ansa/archivio/20040008gb.htm

Mausoleo di Teodorico
Necropoli dei Goti, Ravenna

Sources:

  • http://www.emiliaromagna.it/citta/ravenna/2_en.htm
  • http://www.lignano.it/
  • http://www.queen.it/citta/ravenna/monum/teodo.htm
  • http://www.ravenna2000.it/Turismo/MAUSOLEO_TEODORICO.htm
  • http://racine.ra.it/ravenna/turismo/eng/monumenti/616.htm
  • http://racine.ra.it/ravenna/turismo/eng/monumenti/uteod.htm
Gate of San Tomaso
Treviso

Source: http://www.evo.it/riccati/Treviso/inglese/Treviso1.htm

Monument to Palma il Giovane
S.S. Giovanni e Paolo, Venice
Artists: Palma il Giovane, Vincenzo Scamozzi, Alessandro Vittoria & Giacomo Alberelli

Source: http://www.savevenice.org/Monumentpages/currentprojects/currentprojectstext.html

Statue of St. George on facade
Basilica of San Giorgio Maggiore
Island of San Giorgio Maggiore (Venice)
Giulio dal Moro, sculptor

Source: http://www.cini.it/english/foundation/01.history/icon/logo3.htm

Bas-relief of St. George and the Dragon
Basilica of San Giorgio Maggiore
Island of San Giorgio Maggiore (Venice)
Giovanni Battista Bregno, sculptor

Source: http://www.cini.it/english/foundation/01.history/icon/logo.htm

  Stone walls
Church of San Giuliano
Campo San Zulian, Venice

Source: http://www.canaan.demon.co.uk/roleplaying/venice/VenGeog-SanM.html

  Chiesa di Santa Maria Mater Domini
Santa Croce, Venezia

Source: http://www.veneto.org/venice/stcroce.htm

Stone portal
Sanctuary of Madonna del Pino (1557)
Cervia

Source: http://www.kaleidon.it/web/cervia/MUSAENGL/M_PINO.HTM

  Basilica dello Spirito Santo
Ravenna

[check]

Bell tower and Sanctuary of the Holy House of the Madonna
Loreto, Italy
Luigi Vanvitelli, architect

Sources:

  • http://www.thebestraffaello.com/uk/travel/appviag4.htm
  • http://www.cnnet.it/turismo/lagranda/loreto.htm

Note:  Loreto and Istria have another link to one another, the legend and Church of St. Mary of Loreto in Trsat.

Monuments
Old Jewish Cemetery
Venice

Source: http://www.savevenice.org/Monumentpages/OldJewishCemetery/cemeteryrestproc.html

Facade facing canal (1480-89)
Santa Maria dei Miracoli
Venice

Sources:

  • http://www.unesco.int/culture/heritage/tangible/venice/html_eng/resultatmo1.htm
  • http://www.provincia.venezia.it/chorus/e65.htm
Faro della Vittoria (lighthouse), height: 70 m.
Colle di Gretta, Trieste
Arduino Berlam, sculptor

Sources:

  • http://www.fromitaly.net/ENGLISH/REGION/FRIULI/TOURISM/TRIESTE/TRIESTE/Riviera.htm
  • http://www.marconinet.it/laguna/murano/index.htm
  Ponte di Tiberio (terminato tra il 14 e il 21 d.C.)
Rimini
Palazzo Vescovile
Ancona

Source: http://idau.unian.it/AN_800/PAGES/LCP1S16F.HTM

Portale d'ingresso (1667), ecc.
Santuario, Madonna della Salute di Monteortone (iniziata il 1428)
Abano
Portale d'ingresso, opera di Ferrante Morbiato

Source: http://www.termeeuganee.it/italiano/comuni_euganei/abano/monteortone.html

Porta Serrata
Via di Roma, Ravenna

Source: http://www.ravenna2000.it/Turismo/PORTA_SERRATA.htm

  Ponte degli Scalzi (1932-34)
Venezia

Source: http://oberon.iuav.it/miozzi/miozzi02.html

Porta Ravegnana o Portonaccio
(Arco Trionfale di Borgo Porta Sisi)
Ravenna

Source: http://www.ravenna2000.it/Turismo/PORTA_RAVEGNANA.htm

  Baldacchino
Il Carrobbio (Palazzo della Mercanzia)
Bologna

Source: http://www.immagica.it/bologna/visita.htm

Il Leone
Canale del Bacchiglione, Venezia

Source: http://www.generali.it/cultura/restauri2.htm

Main Menu


Created: Sunday, October 8, 2000; Last Updated: Wednesday, April 13, 2016
Copyright © 1998 IstriaNet.org, USA