Blessed Julian de Cesarello
Prominent Istrians


ulian Cesarello was born in Valle (now Bale) on May 11 (c. 1300) and also died there on May 1, 1349 of natural causes.

Known as "Blessed Julian" and "Blessed Julian Cesarello de Valle", he was beatified on February 23, 1910 by Pope Pius X (cultus confirmation).

Franciscan priest

born in Valle
c. 1300

Julian, a member of the well-known Cesarello family, was young when he entered the Franciscan order. After studies in philosophy and theology, he was ordained as a priest. He lived in various monasteries in Istria, spending most of his life in the monastery of St. Michael [sv. Mihovil] near Bale. This monastery had previously belonged to the Camaldolese order, who abandoned it, and it was taken over by the Franciscans.

Julian lived an exemplary monastic life here. He often went to the Istrian villages and towns, preaching and distributing the Holy Sacraments. He was particularly distinguished as a peacemaker among quarrelling individuals, families and groups of citizens. Artists portrayed him holding a book and cross because, as the harbinger of God's word, a preacher and popular missionary to all in the name of Christ, he sought to bring Divine peace, to implement the motto of St. Francis: "Peace and Good!"

An equal number of the faithful came to him at the monastery of St. Michael. They confessed and sought the advice of this holy Franciscan and model priest.

After his life burned out like a candle for the glory of God, in monastic quiet following very fruitful missionary and pastoral work, Julian was prepared for eternity and died in the Lord.

Immediately after his death, the people began to venerate him as a saint. Moreover, the inhabitants of Bale chose him as their patron saint, as recorded in the Municipal Bylaws of 1477. It was quite clear that they had not begun to revere him as a saint only from the year 1477, but long before. On Municipality Day every year, there was a Solemn Mass, procession and other celebrations. Even Pope Pius VI, via a special breve to believers, granted an indulgence for this holy day. In the 16th century, a special fraternity was founded for the veneration of the Blessed Julian.

This holy day is celebrated by the people of Bale on May 1. The day of the translation, i.e. the transfer, of his body is celebrated on July 4, and the day of the consecration of the altar on September 29, 1592. Thus, the people of Bale honor their saint three times a year.

The Franciscans abandoned the monastery of St. Michael at the beginning of the 16th century. The body of the Blessed Julian remained in the monastery church, where believers continued to honor it. In 1597, the people brought his relics to the parish church. Since then, the day of this translation is also celebrated. On September 29, 1592, a beautiful marble altar was erected in his honor. All this information is contained in an official document issued by the bishop of Poreč, Gašpar de Nigris. A magnificent new church was built in Bale in 1882. It was dedicated to the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Blessed Julian, as indicated by a stone inscription.

Sources:

  • First paragraph (dates): http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintjcu.htm">http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintjcu.htm
  • Main text: Catholic Church in Croatia - The Blessed Julijan of Bale - http://www.pope.hr/katolicka_crkva_u_hrvatskoj_sveci_8.html

Main Menu


The page compliments of Marisa Ciceran and Aaron Gillies

Created: Sunday, October 19, 2003; Last Updated: Sunday, October 21, 2012
Copyright © 1998 IstriaNet.org, USA